Partenariat Régional pour la
de la zone côtière et Marine en Afrique de l'Ouest
Scientific Days of the Littoral PRCM Award
The Regional Partnership for the Conservation of the Coastal and Marine Area (PRCM) – created in 2012 as an emanation of the Regional Program for the Conservation of the Coastal and Marine Zone (PRCM) – is an expression of the will of a coalition of national and international actors committed to the conservation of the Coast in seven West African countries, including Mauritania, Senegal, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone
and Cabo Verde. These actors are working together in the context of a shared vision to preserve for a healthy and productive coast in West Africa. PRCM is also a form of advocacy for cooperation and building inter-stakeholder synergies in the implementation of projects and interventions particularly in response to transboundary environmental issues relating to the conservation of biodiversity and critical habitats, sustainable use of shared natural resources,
exploration and exploitation of hydrocarbons, the impacts of global climate change, etc. The Regional Coastal and Marine Forum which is held every eighteen months, is the expression of
this dynamic collaboration.
Supported by the PRCM, the GIDEL Master’s Degree program (Integrated Management and Sustainable Development of the West Africa Coast), implemented by the Department of Geography, in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at the Cheikh Anta Diop University, will be holding from 8 to 10 April in Dakar, Senegal, the second edition of its Scientific Days of the Coast (JSL) on the theme: Vulnerability and Resilience of West African coastal ecosystems.
As part of the awards on the occasion of the JSL, PRCM considers for the first time to award the best Ph.D. student’s paper on one of the themes related to the conservation of coastal and marine areas.
II. Nomination Process for the PRCM JLS Award
Eligibility criteria for the Award include:
1. Any student from one of the countries from the PRCM sub-region who is preparing a Ph. D.
2. Being enrolled for a Ph. D. program during the 2013-2014 academic year
3. The research topic must relate to one of the themes that contribute to the governance and conservation of coastal and marine areas (biology, geology, chemistry, physics, environmental law, political science, economics, social sciences, etc.). The research topic must focus on the coastal and marine zone of West Africa or have an application for it.
The application shall include:
- A request to take part in the PRCM Award
- A certificate of registration for the 2013-2014 academic year
- A report – 2 pages maximum – on the research conducted, with particular emphasis on
(i) the relationship between the subject and the impact targeted by PRCM; (ii) the
methodology used, and (iii) a detailed description of the work undertaken which
highlights the main results;
Deadline for submission: April 06, 2014 at 3 o’clock p.m.
Applications shall be sent to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to: